Saturday 5 August 2017

Public Toilets



Public toilets in Peru are horrible. It was one thing I was really not looking forward to coming back to here. There are toilets on most of the main streets in the city and they are all terrible, you always have to paddle through the piss to get to the broken toilet, dodge the used paper on the floor and hope for some sort of privacy. You soon learn that there will not be any toilet roll and everyone carries there own all the time.
Even in restaurants the toilets are horrible. You would think that in a place where people eat the would be some very basic maintenance or cleaning sometime, but no. It is beyond me to understand this, but it is a constant of life. You pay to go to the toilet here and it is very bad.
So I was amazed the other day when Rocio and I payed to go to the toilets in Sapallanga Market to find that they were spotlessly clean. The woman in attendance wouldn't let us go in until she had checked and they were perfect (No toilet roll but that was a minor detail) They were so good I took a picture.






It is a crouching down one obviously, but you soon get used to that and the stall next door had a normal seat one. Almost worth a trip to use them,

My health is getting better and better. I no longer get out of breath going up stairs and I am feeling very well. I know that once I am altutude adjusted to life in Huancayo I feel musch better here than I do home in England. I am not quite at the stage of going jogging yet and I am a long way from going up the surrounding mountains, but I should get there before we go back to England. I have my eye on a local mountain I would love to go up. I am not planning on a trip to the glacier of Huaytapallana this time ( I have been 4 times I think) but I do fancy a day out in the mountains.

The preparations for Santiago are nearly done. Rocio has her new traditional dress, her fustan, and her shawl (gliclia? Never seen it written) and she's looking good. Michael and I both haev new hats and our shirts and suits are ready. We are all looking good.




Party food is being prepared, unbcluding huge bathtubs full of potaotes and several guineapigs, whose lives ended almost as soon as they arrived in the house so Michael didn't see them alive and get upset.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't forget to sign your comment!