Monday 14 May 2012

On being a vegetarian in Peru

Mike, Rocio, Bob and I went to a Vegetarian Restaurant in Huancayo. There are so many of them, which is always surprising for me as no-one else seems to understand vegetarianism here. I am thoroughly sick to death of explaining that I don't eat meat, not a bit of it, no not chicken 'cos that's meat, no not fish 'cos that's meat, no I don't want a bit of meat mixed in, no I don't think it's OK to just eat around the meat etc etc etc just to receive my meal with bacon in it (Ask Bob about the Veggie Restaurant on the Bolivia border!) So it's great that in a smallish city like Huancayo there are 30 or 40 veggie restaurants at my guess.
They are mostly very similar, ie the same menu at every one and it is all as very very bland as they can possibly make it and the toilets are always swimming with piss and broken ( A Peruvian tradition) but at least we can eat cheaply and without bacon.
Here is Michael messing around and not concentrating on his food at Nuevo Horizonte.



Bonus picture of Michael eating my phone instead.





The good news is we have recently found a veggie restaurant run by Hare Krishnas. You can always trust the Krishnas I have found. They cook strict veggie food. They always take care to make it nice and tasty and they keep themselves and their places very clean and welcoming. What's more there is some chance of getting a curry in Huancayo! I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please don't forget to sign your comment!